Winter weather mean holidays and hot chocolate for us. And that means we get more time to spend with our furry friends. But, how to keep dog warm in winter outside? What are some dog winter essentials? How to protect dogs from cold weather? Let's answer them for you and bonus We'll share some interesting facts and tips to keep your pup safe during the winters.
You might also like: Ways to Make your Dog Instagram Famous
How to Keep Dog Warm in Winter Outside?
- When going out for walks make sure you limit the time you spend outside.
- When you go out with your dog make sure you are using proper jackets or coats for your dog.
- Ensure your dog is wearing dog shoes because the snow and frost will definitely do serious damage to their paws in case they are out in the cold for a long time.
- If you are keeping your dog outside in a kennel then provide ample space for bedding.
- Make sure the dog home which is placed outside has enough insulation from the ground level.
How to keep dog warm at night inside?
- Make sure you feed lukewarm water to your pet. Although they won't have it but you can add it to their dog food kibble.
- During winters don't go overboard with grooming. But that doesn't mean you will skip grooming. Occasional baths and regular drying of paws after walks is mandatory. Ensure their nails are trimmed and their are getting regular haircuts.
- Drying of paws when they come home from walk is extremely important. Your pet will lick his or her paws. And their might be dirt or bacteria in the ice that sticks in their paws. This will cause further skin infection. To prevent that, it's important that you keep their paws clean.
- Provide enough insulation especially where they sleeping over the bedding.
- Provide your dogs with old blankets or duvets to keep them warm and cosy all night long.
- If your dog sleeps in a crate then you can cover the crate from the outside using an old blanket. This will keep the crate warm all night long.
What are some dog winter essentials?
- Dog winter coats, especially reversible dog jackets will help them stay warm all winter long.
- You can also go for a water-resistant, wind-proof, fleece lined vest or jackets so that your pooch will stay warm wherever you go.
- You can buy a Santa dress for dogs for a beautiful photoshoot experience during Christmas.
- Use a lightweight and compact goggles for dogs with an elastic nylon strap. It'll make them look stylish and also keep them safe from snowstorm and sharp ice particles.
- Dog Mats: You can buy dog mats for extra insulation and padding. You can keep them over their beds or in their crates for extra warmth.
Winter safety tips for dogs
- Avoid thin ice. This goes for both us and our pets. Thin ice can be extremely risky for our pets. Although it looks fun to slide across a frozen pond but ice can easily crack and you and your dog can fall in.
- Beware of antifreeze. Antifreeze is harmful for dogs. If you see signs of drooling, vomiting, seizures, or excessive thirst, panting or lethargy it could be because your dog has swallowed some of it.
- Watch for Hypothermia. If your pooch is very young or is aging then avoid taking them out in the cold. Hypothermia is a condition which occurs when a dog spends too much time in the cold. Signs to look out for are shivering and ears and feet turning cold.
- Frostbite. Beware of frostbite because the signs are not immediately obvious. The dogs ears, paws and tails can get so cold that ice crystal forms in the tissue and damages it.
Must read: Important Dog Health Care Tips
What is the best winter dog?
Although dogs with furs love cold weather. Especially dogs like mastiff, saint bernard, siberian husky, and etc. But keep in mind that no amount of fur can protect them from cold weather. They live with us therefore their body temperatures are used to conditions that we find ourselves comfortable in.
What kind of dogs can survive the winter?
Any and every dog can survive harsh and cold winters if and only if you take proper care of your dogs. Prevent them from going out too much in the cold. If going out ensure they are wearing proper windproof and water-resistant jackets and vests. Keep them in a warm place at night.
What does my dog need for winter?
Your dog needs to drink enough water during winters. So ensure their water bowl is full. Keep your dog away from eating snow especially in the places where vehicles are moving. Provide them with a warm blanket and make their wear winter shoes along with goggles and winter coats and jackets.
What can I give my dog in winter?
You can give your dog lukewarm water. You can combine it with dog kibble. You can also feed fishes with high fat like Salmon or Tuna to help them beat the cold. You can feed whole eggs to your dogs during winters to keep them warm. But keep it limited to 1-2 whole eggs in a day.
So, these were some of the important tips and tricks to keep your pet safe during winters. If you have any further queries or concerns you can comment below. I will be happy to answer them for you.